7 x Jung (Young)

After we learned about Project New Faces, we breaked for lunch and arrived for our next appointment at 7 x Young.  7 X Young refers to the exhibition’s seven rooms of multi-media displays especially for young people-but also for adults-to confront issues of human rights both on an intellectual and an emotional level.  The exhibit takes examples from the Nazi period in Germany and makes connections to situations in today’s world.  Each display represents events during the Nazi period and tell a story of discrimination and ostracism, but each display also demonstrated many ways how people can stand up against hate and injustice.  Even during the Nazi period, there were different ways to act in everyday situations, from accepting or promoting discrimination and anti-Semitism, to opposing injustice and helping those affected on the other.

Each of the seven rooms is like the setting for a stage.  They provide a means by which one can approach the subject in a playful, yet serious way.  The seven rooms have the following titles:  My City, My Team, My Corner Store, My Passport, My Room, My Family, My Music.

We were greeted by one of the staff members here and she first led us to a comfortable, carpeted area, where there were bean-bag stools placed in a circular formation.  In the middle of the circle were postcards with various and random pictures.

20140827-194843.jpg

She introduced herself and gave us the meaning of her name, why her parents gave her that name, whether she liked it, and then shared her postcard with us and why she identified most with that particular postcard.  We followed her lead and did the same.  I thought this was such an applicable method to  teach something about identity and create opportunities for students to connect who they are with  a name and the meaning of it.   Not only that, I think it is an interesting way to get to know how students might see the role of their culture and heritage in their identity.  Whether we like our names or not, most of us have some kind of story that accompanies how we were named, and those stories should be told.  Any chance we can give our students to open up and share their own personal stories should be welcomed.  The postcard was just a fun addition to this activity, and I plan on using this in my classroom as well.  I personally chose (as the postcard with which I identified the most) the quirky cyclops lady sitting in a raft in the pool (see photo above).  20140827-194945.jpg

20140827-195201.jpg

20140827-194749.jpg

20140827-194809.jpg

20140827-195319.jpg